CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 11, 2010

She works hard for the money ...

By now, if you are a follower, you have realized that I must've gone back to work for Uncle Sam because you've not seen a post in a week!

Somebody get this reader a prize because you are RIGHT!

There is so much that goes in to making sure an Army unit is running properly. There is seriously so much to do and it ends up being frustrating at the end of the day when you think of 45 more things that you'll need to accomplish tomorrow.

Being a woman in today's Army is incredibly hard. It doesn't matter how hard you work to be as equal to the male Soldiers around you, you never will be. An old boyfriend told me that once. "The guys never take the girls seriously. Don't even try."

And that's sad. Sad on your part mister.

Not including BCT and AIT, I have attended nine Army schools in my six year career. Three of them I was honor graduate. All the rest, I was in the top percentile of the graduates. I set the record at one detachment for having the highest profile PT score of any other Soldier to come through.

I have received commendations and medals for my hard work as a leader of my troops.

MY Troops. That's what they are. Fourteen Soldiers who I put my neck out on the line for, stay at the office until 7 p.m. for and who I pray for every night.

I think being a female -- and a Virgo, I am a perfectionist. And being a female, I'm not afraid to ask for help. But I think that's sometimes where we go wrong. Perhaps if I were to take my care level down a notch, only do the bare minimum and drive on, maybe I'd be respected more?

Maybe if I wasn't a whistleblower on wrong doings or a person who didn't stand up for what she knows is right. Maybe if I didn't try so hard or remind people what they are doing is not in accordance with Army Standard. Maybe if I could convince my male counterparts that archaic stereotypes and gender should make no difference in the type leader I am ... or could be.

Maybe then I wouldn't be the "Drama Queen."




A very wise NCO, who is a very good friend has taught me two things:

1- Be a duck.

2- If the shoe fits.




Well, "quack, quack." I think it's time for some shoe shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment